Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

In South Carolina what legal actions can a custodial parent take against a non custodial parent who doesn't exercise their visitation rights? Can a non custodial parent's right for visitation be revoked for non visitation because it is emotionally or mentally affecting the child?

Asked on 1/29/11, 12:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

The custodial parent cannot force the non-custodial parent to exercise his/her visitation. However, the custodial parent could use the failure to visit as a basis to modify, reduce, or terminate the other parent's visitation under certain circumstances.

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog ( or our website ( I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

Read more
Answered on 2/08/11, 7:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina