Legal Question in Real Estate Law in South Carolina

My parents passed away and left land and house to me and my brother. i live in the home and my brother lives next door in a mobile home. he does not pay any taxes at all. i've paid them going on four years. i know i live in the house but he should be responsible for some of it. his mobile home isn't registerd in the local tax office. so he does not pay taxes on anything. he and his girlfriend are on drugs and he feels he should get a free ride. how can i get the land in my name and have them removed?

Asked on 11/30/09, 10:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

Do not do anything based on this answer because I have not discussed this matter with you and I would need more information to give you a complete answer. This is just a generalized response. You need to have a conversation with an attorney who can ask you all of the important questions and who could then adivse you.

Based on the little information I have, I do not see how you can force him off the property and put the real estate in your name, based solely on him not contributing to the tax payments. They appear to be two separate legal matters. There is no law that says you are entitled to full ownership of the land simply because he did not pay his share of the taxes.

You certainly could purse him for the reimbursement of what was spent on the taxes. There might be a couple things that you could legally do in persuit of obtaining full ownership of the land and that can be discussed with an attorney.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 12/05/09, 10:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in South Carolina