Legal Question in Traffic Law in South Carolina

Accident involving a non-liscensed driver

The owner of a vehicle knowingly gave permission to my daughter, 14 years old and non-licensed, to drive his vehicle with only a permit holder in the vehicle. She wrecked the vehicle and was injured. All parties involved knew she was not licensed to drive. Am I, the father, totally responsible for the damages done to the vehicle? Am I responsible for replacement cost of the vehicle or for the actual paid value of the vehicle?

Asked on 9/16/00, 2:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

Re: Accident involving a non-liscensed driver

First of all, you might not be quite as liable as it appears. There is a law suit that can be brought in South Carolina called, "Negligent Entrustment." It is possible that this could be brought against the individual that knowingly allowed your daughter to drive the car. You need to consult an attorney on that. As far as the value of the vehicle, its calulated at the replacement amount.

Read more
Answered on 10/17/00, 3:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in South Carolina