Legal Question in Traffic Law in South Carolina

This is my first offense of any kind and i am a college student i have an citation of minor in possession of beer. I live in south carolina. The police officer said she gave me a good note for the judge, what are the odds of me serving jail time or getting the full fine and sentence for this?

Asked on 9/01/13, 6:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

With any legal matter, especially one requiring a court appearance, you are better off with an attorney. Its unlikely that you would receive jail or the "full fine and sentence" for this.

Everyone has a right to go to trial. However, its generally not advisable to do that unless you are fairly cetain you are going to win it.

The best results with most people in your situation is to obtain a referral to one of the community service programs, that are available to people who do not have a criminal record, such as you. The nice part about it, is once you have completed the program, then the charge is dismissed and your record is expunged (meaning there will be no record).

The people that rrun the program are very accommodating and will work around a person's work schedule, school, and other personal committments. You can also do the community service hours anywhere. So if you live out of state, you can do your hours where you live and dont' have to travel back to Myrtle Beach for that.

If you retain an attorney prior to your court date, then the lawyer can take care of everything and you will not need to appear in court.

I hope this information is helpful.

Robert J. Johnston

Horry County

*843) 946-0099

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 9/02/13, 10:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in South Carolina