Legal Question in Traffic Law in South Carolina

I recently got a speeding ticket in SC, 76 in a 60. I was driving my daughter's car, which she put 17" rims on (car came w/ 13" rims). My husband told me this would make my speedometer show I was going slower than I actually was. My question is, will a speedometer calibration help me in SC? I live in NC & I know it is helpful here, but everything I am finding online suggests it is a waste of time in SC.

Asked on 9/12/13, 9:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

A driver in SC is responsible for knowing his/her speed, regardless of the type of equipment.

Being written a ticket for 76 in a 60 is a four point violation and most likely the officer wrote around $185.00 on the ticket for the fine amount. That ticket can be reduced to a two point violation with an $81.50 fine.

Should taking time off work, traveling to SC, spending money on gas, sitting around the court house, and the rest of the headache of handling this yourself is something you would rather avoid, an attonry can do all of that for you and save you a trip back to SC. My office is in Horry County (Myrtle Beach) and I also practice in Georgetown County. Occasionally, I'll handle these tickets in some of the surrounding counties. Due to making court appearances, I charge $250.00. You should also be aware that if convicted of a four point ticket in SC, it can transfer back to NC and result in an automatic suspension of your NC driving privleges. You can contact the DMV in Raleigh and verify this if you want.

Regardless of which way you go, I wish you well.

Robert J. Johnston

[email protected]


Read more
Answered on 9/12/13, 10:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in South Carolina