Legal Question in Workers Comp in South Carolina

Carpul Tunnel Syndrome

I am having an operation on my right hand for Carpul Tunnel on Aug. 30th. I have worked as a cashier for 2 1/2 years and was told by my Dr. that doing something repetative causes this. I am wondering if I can get Workers Comp. I will be out of work 3 - 6 weeks. I will need to have my left hand operated on too.


Asked on 8/18/01, 11:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alton L. Martin, Jr. Martin & Martin Attorneys, PA

Re: Carpul Tunnel Syndrome

Most likely. The South Carolina Court of Appeals ruled earlier this year that most repetitive stress injuries, like carpal tunnel, are covered under workers' comp.

You need to give your employer notice of your injuries as soon as possible. Do not wait until after the surgery. Your employer should notify its workers' compensation carrier who will take over paying for your medical care.

If I can be of further assistance, please call.

Al Martin

(864) 232-4400

Read more
Answered on 8/22/01, 2:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in South Carolina