Legal Question in Appeals and Writs in South Dakota

My ex boyfriend will not respond back to me and I am trying to settle this without any legal help. I had an abortion back in December and a miscarriage in July and he will not pay his half to me for the medical bills that I paid in full. Two days ago he told me to stop contacting him and that the relationship was over and to send copies of the documents and that is the only way he will pay half. I want him to come to the town I live to review the documents and for us to look at them together and shred them without having to involve any legal help. It is not his money I am after--it is the meaning that I want him to get involved with being a father to the two children we had. He is not answering any of my calls or text messages and I am to the point where I do not know what to do. I do not want to sue him but it looks like I almost have no other option. Help!

Asked on 9/27/13, 7:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

Your question isn't about appeals and writs, so you may want to re-post it under family law.

I empathize with you. Your ex should help pay these bills. It would be the right thing for him to do. But it's not clear to me that the law says he has to. If he doesn't, then your lawsuit would fail. An expert in family law could give you more reliable advice on this question.

It seems unlikely that a court could make your ex be a better father. The legal system isn't designed to solve every type of problem, and this may be a problem that would be better addressed elsewhere. You may have more luck if you discuss it with your clergy and/or a family therapist.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 9/27/13, 10:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Appeals and Writs questions and answers in South Dakota