Legal Question in DUI Law in Tennessee


I am a 19 year old college student and some friends and I were at a private residence drinking a very small amount of alcohol. The parents of my friend who's house we were at were in the house. To be honest, none of us were drunk and none of us had had over 2 drinks. The police arrived and quickly started handing out M.I.P.'s. They did not give any of us sobriety tests of any sort. They just asked how much we had had to drink and we all responded truthfully. Now my friends and I are stuck with these misdemeanors and we're not sure what to do. Is there anything we can do to get out of this? If not, how much of a fine would we have to pay? Were the police legally allowed to enter a my friend's house even with her parents home? If we are not able to get out of this and we all pay the fine, how long does this stay on our records? Any help would be much appreciated.

Asked on 6/12/03, 7:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kevin Patterson KGP Law Firm

Re: M.I.P.

A minor in possession of alcohol charge is a misdeamenor which does not carry jail time, but does result in a fine. However, upon conviction, you drivers licence can be suspended up age 21. The facts you wrote about are not enough to provide answers to an effective defense. If you would like to discuss this in greater detail, I will be glad to discuss it over the telephone in a free consultation. Give me a call at 853-0921 and I will be glad to answer your questions.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/03, 5:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Tennessee