Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Tennessee

what type of lawyer to sue for damages

My son was assaulted after leaving a night club and his neck was broken causing a spinal cord injury.

The police will be charging the person responsible soon with aggravated assault.

My son has huge medical bills, loss of work, and will be handicapped for some time.

What type of lawyer should he seek to go after this person for damages and compensation?

The person who did this was with 7 other people and they were all student athlettes from a local college.

My son now has limited use of his left arm, hand,and the broken neck. He will probably have problems the reast of his life. He is 22 years old.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,--name removed--Mullins

Asked on 3/10/06, 11:31 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

James Higgins Higgins & Himmelberg

Re: what type of lawyer to sue for damages

It can be very difficult to collect damages from an individual. Especially a young college person. Once he is charged with this crime, however, the district attorney can make restitution part of the punishment. Also we have pursued cases against nightclubs and their security for failing to protect their patrons. It is important to determine if fights occurred often at the establishment and whether the bar did anything to prevent the problem. We can run a criminal history report on the bar to help determine if they have any responsibility. I am very sorry this happened to your son. If you would like to discuss this with me my contact information is at

Read more
Answered on 3/11/06, 3:59 pm

Holland McKinnie T. Holland McKinnie, PC

Re: what type of lawyer to sue for damages

You need to consult immediately with a competent and experienced attorney that practices in the areas of personal injury and premises liability. There are potential actions against not only the attacker but also the club and possibly other entities as well. In order to properly and accurately evaluate the claims, it would be necessary to consult with you personally to cover several questions. You have one year from the date of the attack to bring an action if the case has not been settled in order to avoid losing claims to the statute of limitations.

It is important that you do not talk directly to representatives of the responsible parties until you have consulted with a responsible and competent attorney. There are immediate things that you should do to preserve evidence and protect your son's right to recover. My firm's office is in Franklin, please let me know it I can answer any other questions directly. Thanks, Holland McKinnie, [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 3/11/06, 7:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Tennessee