Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Tennessee

Being sueded over a bad debt

I am about to be served a summings because of unpaid bills.

I am on social security disability and have been divorced sience May 03, The only possessions that I own are my personal clothes and a two autos one a 1976 car that does not run and is not licesended and a 1983 truck that runs and is licesended. I get $700.00 a month from social security each month. What can the court do to me?

Asked on 9/03/03, 7:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Heidi Milam Heidi S. Milam, Attorney at Law

Re: Being sueded over a bad debt

There is really not much the creditor can do to collect a judgment from you. Social security income is exempt from garnishment and based on the age of your vehicles, it would cost the creditor more to execute on them than they are worth. However, the creditor could execute on your vehicle. You should file exemptions with the court immediately after a judgment is obtained. In Tennessee, you can exempt $4,000 personal property from execution. Speak with the clerk of the court you were sued in to get instructions on the procedure. If you still need help, check with your local legal services organization. If you qualify based on your income, they will assist you with your case.

Read more
Answered on 9/04/03, 11:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Tennessee