Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Tennessee

My wages were garnished from a hospital bill from my ex husband. Can they do that ?

Asked on 5/11/12, 11:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Howard R. Peppel Peppel, Gomes & MacIntosh, P.C.

Yes, but only if there was a judgment entered against you and a court decreed that you were responsible for the charges. The fact that the court has issued a garnishment means that a court did make this sort of finding and has held you responsible for the debt. If you were married to your former husband at the time the medical expenses were incurred you can be held responsible for the bill even though you may now be divorced.

I suggest that you consult with a lawyer in your county as you may have rights to have the judgment set aside, but that sort of action depends upon a number of different facts that only the lawyer can evaluate and give proper advisement as to how you should proceed.

Read more
Answered on 5/12/12, 8:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Tennessee