Legal Question in Family Law in Tennessee

I was adopted by my stepdad when I was 2. I am an adult now and want nothing to do with him as he abused me and made my childhood a living hell. My biodad has since past but I want the adoption to be reversed. I want no legal ties to this monster, even to the point of no longer having to put his name down as my maiden name. The adoption took place in IL and I live in TN. What can I do?

Asked on 10/05/14, 10:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rosella Shackelford Shackelford Legal Service

Adoptions are sealed in the state of Tennessee and when the adoption that your stepdad of you was completed it became a sealed document. Therefore, it would be cost prohibitive for you to go back to attempt to reopen the case with a very strong likelihood of no success. Alternatively you might consider changing your name back to either your original name or a different name and as long as you're not committing a felony it seems as though you have a valid reason to do so

Read more
Answered on 10/05/14, 11:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Tennessee