Legal Question in Family Law in Tennessee

Change custody and child support case Jurisdiction

I was given complete physical and legal custody of my minor children by the Superior Court in California in August 8, 2005, from a guardianship that the birth mother signed over to stangers. The court had court Investigators interview myself and mother. And found the children should not return to her, since she would be to risky and her spouse who is mentally ill shouldn't be around the children. After a year the mother now wants think of them, and requested a hearing in California 9/14/06. We came from Tennessee when the court gave the children back to me in August 2005.

The court gave me the right discretion to her visits, due to the mothers mental state of mind. She acts the court for her to have the children leave residence state and visit her and to gain joint custody. I waant to stop her in her tracks at this hearing for the safety of our children. What forms do I need to change the jurisdiction of the case so I may modify the order in Tennessee. What can I do about the hearing in California on 9/14/06 , since I and the minor children have lived here for a year now. Will I need to supply the court with documents of the court Investirgators to share with the judge, the mother needs a mental evaluation.

Asked on 8/16/06, 2:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jes Beard Jes Beard, Attorney at Law

Re: Change custody and child support case Jurisdiction

You need to get an attorney in California to advise you and to represent you in court, but I suspect you are not going to get jurisdiction changed to Tennessee so long as the mother remains in California and has not moved out of the state at any time since the child was placed with you -- depends on California law. This is NOT something you can handle just by filling out a couple of forms.

Read more
Answered on 8/26/06, 2:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Tennessee