Legal Question in Family Law in Tennessee

Custody of Grandchild

Our grand daughter was born out of wedlock. Her mother has serious mental issues, she has attempted suicide several times and was just released from a psychiatric hospital. Our son is the father and he is in agreement that my wife and I (grandparents) should raise the baby. By the way, the mother's parent's feel the same way. How can we go about getting custody of this baby?

Asked on 10/29/08, 4:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Ayers Law Office of Andrea M. Ayers

Re: Custody of Grandchild

An immediate remedy that would allow you to authorize enrollment of the child in school, authorize medical treatment, and provide for the child's food, lodging, housing, recreation, and travel would be executing a document entitled "Power of Attorney For Care of a Minor Child" This would not give you legal custody of the child but it would be a something that would allow you to take care of immediate needs. It is a very simple form that just needs to be signed by the parties and notarized. To gain legal custody of the child, the parents would have to relingush their rights to you or you would have to file a petition to terminate their parental rights. I hope this infomration is helpful.

Read more
Answered on 10/29/08, 4:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Tennessee