Legal Question in Family Law in Tennessee

Divorce and child custody

If a divorce takes place in a certain state and both parties move, will any further judgments have to take place in that particular state as well.

Asked on 11/19/08, 10:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

Re: Divorce and child custody

It depends on the law of the two states. If you both now live in Florida, you can have the other state's judgment "domesticated" (turned from the other state's judgment into a Florida judgment).

Then, if you need to have the other state's judgment enforced (force the other person to follow it), you can do it in Florida.

However, many Florida judges believe that, if you need to have the judgment changed (instead of just enforced), you have to have the change made in the original state. Some Florida judges think you can both enforce or change the judgment in Florida once it's domesticated here.

Read more
Answered on 11/19/08, 10:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Tennessee