Legal Question in Family Law in Tennessee

Signing over Parental Right to a family friend

I have a friend who is wanting to adopt her friends child. The mother see's herself as unfit and wants to give the child to the family friend. Who would be speak to? what would be the fee's? Would they have to go through the same process as a state adoption? Can she just sign over legal rights to the family friend? We live in TN. Any information would be great!

Asked on 4/03/09, 11:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


Re: Signing over Parental Right to a family friend

If they want to go through the adoption process, it is likely they will need to hire an attorney to go through the appropriate steps with the court. It would still involve much of the same process as an adoption through an agency.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/09, 12:07 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Tennessee