Legal Question in Family Law in Tennessee

TN laws on marriage and children

My baby girl is due to be born in July. Her mother is still married and is in the process of getting a divorce. Theres no debate on paternity of the child. My questions are as follows. 1. Can I sign my daughters birth certificate 2. Can the child carry my family name or the mothers maiden name. I really dont want my child carrying some other mans family name and would be fine with hers till the name can be switched to mine if her maiden name is even possible. Keep in mind the child will be born in TN .. but only born there.. she will reside in VA with both me and the mother. I would really like to know my rights as the father of the baby and where i may find information as such. Thanks for any help it will be greatly appriciated i assure you

Asked on 4/29/09, 1:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Re: TN laws on marriage and children

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

Read more
Answered on 4/30/09, 9:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Tennessee