Legal Question in Personal Injury in Tennessee

i got hurt a month ago volunteering for a non profit. was helping on a ministry farm and got hurt. i do not want to, be can they be sued for pain and suffering that i have been going through for a month now and i am still going to doctors and i do not know how much longer i will have to go to them.

Asked on 11/07/16, 10:21 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael McNulty McNulty & Associates

Without knowing the details of your potential case, you do have the opportunity to file a suit if you were hurt and it was the negligence of a party that caused your injuries. You might think that you would never file suit against a non-profit but they would probably not be the party that ends up paying for your medical bills and possible pain and suffering. Depending on the non profit and the type of event, they might have insurance to cover injuries that occur at the event. If the event was very physically involved, they would be operating very recklessly if they did not carry insurance for the event. If they did not have insurance for the specific event, they still might be covered under a general policy that covers day to day operations for the non profit.

The answers to these questions all depend on the specifics of your case and cannot be answered without knowing the specifics. I would recommend that you contact an attorney that handles personal injury so you can discuss your case with a professional. In Tennessee, you only have one year from the date of your injury to file suit to recover for your damages. It is important to discuss your options because you do not want to have a stack of medical bills that you are liable for when an insurance policy could have paid those bills and possible for pain and suffering. Even worse, the policy that would have covered your bills was purchased by the non profit for the exact reason you were injured.

There is really no harm in discussing your case for an hour with an attorney. If you decide that you do not want insurance to pay your bills if you do have a case, that is your decision to make.

Read more
Answered on 11/08/16, 3:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Tennessee