Legal Question in Telecomm Law in Tennessee

Obtaining Call Trace (*57) information

I recently received a harassing phone call from a blocked number (so it did not register on my caller ID). However, I was able to use call trace (*57) and the phone company has confirmed that they have a name and number for the phone call, but they said that they can not give me the information, they can only give it to law enforcement authorities. Is this true, and why? Can an attorney obtain the information for me? I simply want to know who the caller was before I pursue any further legal options. I am concerned that the police will not give me the information, but simply log the event in the event that it happens again.

Asked on 6/13/07, 10:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Johm Smith tom's

Re: Obtaining Call Trace (*57) information

You could get it with a subpoena, but you'd have to file a civil action first.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/07, 11:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Telecommunications Law questions and answers in Tennessee