Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

I defaulted on a Pay Day Loan in Houston Texas and now the Collection Company that it was turned over to is telling me they are going to take me to court to issuing a "Bad Check". Can they do this?


Asked on 12/14/11, 9:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ryan Bormaster D. Miller & Associates, P.L.L.C.

It depends. If you gave them a check to hold and they deposit it and there are not sufficient funds to cover it then the short answer is, "yes". They can send you a notice letter and then they can turn the check over to the Hot Check division of the District Attorney's Office. Any time you leave a check the law requires you to have sufficient funds to cover it or you have violated those Criminal Statutes. If you would like to discuss further, feel free to contact me at the office.

Read more
Answered on 12/14/11, 11:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas