Legal Question in Admiralty Law in Texas

can I fire my lawyer ,with good reason,although I signed a contract with him ,giving him 40 % if we win.can I legally just drop the case if I so desire? what could he do if I did just drop the case ? can he go on with my case without me.this is a JONES ACT case,but I've lost trust in my attorney,can I just fire him and fight him for his 40 % of my lawsuit.and how could he go about getting any loans that he has given me ,if I fire him.would it automaticly be taken out of my money ,if I win,or would he then have to just sew me

Asked on 11/23/09, 4:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

First, you should go shopping for a new lawyer. Get him on board.

Then you should write Old Lawyer a letter (paper letter - no emails or text messages) asking him to withdraw from the case, and tell him WHY. Send it CERTIFIED MAIL, with a return receipt requested, and keep a copy. The postage will be $5.54.

Don't worry about Old Lawyer suing you; your new lawyer will advise you about that.

Read more
Answered on 12/02/09, 3:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Admiralty Law questions and answers in Texas