Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Texas

I was awarded my home in my Divorce here in Texas. The mortgage is in my ex husband name and he has moved 8 times in the last year to avoid paying child support. Currently, though, he is in Alaska and filed for bankruptcy. He listed the house on the bankruptcy as a debt. The children and I live in the home and like I said I've made the payments on time since I was ordered to by the Judge starting December 1 2014. I found out by accident about the bankruptcy when I went to copy of my year end interest statement from the bank. What are my legal options? I've only lived in the home since November 2013 and it is the primary residence for the minor children and I. We have not spoken to him since October 2014 as, like I stated, he is running all over to avoid child support.

Asked on 1/08/16, 6:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Keith Engelke Law Office of S. Keith Engelke

Suggest you contact a consumer bankruptcy attorney to review the divorce decree and any other documents such as a deed from him and a deed of trust to secure assumption. It seems to me that you might need to refinance the house in your name if he no longer owns the house.

Read more
Answered on 1/08/16, 11:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Texas