Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Texas

I'm not sure if bankruptcy is the right area but all I can find online about my question refers me back to bankruptcy. Anyway, I let a mobile home go back to the creditor in 2004 and they got a judgement against me. I know it's been placed on my credit. I will be receiving a personal injury settlement for a car accident I was in in the next week or two. Can they garnish my settlement? Can I safely put it in the bank without worrying if they are going to freeze my account and take my money? Any advice is appreciated! I live in Texas.

Asked on 10/01/09, 9:50 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Nichols Law Office of Andrew B. Nichols

Since the creditor has a judgment they could potentially garnish the funds from the bank account. It would probably take some time to do this. You would need to take those funds and convert them to exempt property --- maybe put some of it into an IRA. There are other strategies but that is a quick answer.

Read more
Answered on 10/07/09, 11:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Texas