Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Texas

Child Support and Bankruptcy

I am from Texas but I live in Oklahoma now. Can I file for bankruptcy in Oklahoma for debts from Texas. Also, I had consulted a lawyer in Texas before I moved here and he said that I could put my back child support in my bankruptcy. When my childs mother and I went to court for child support the lawyer there also said I could put my back child support in my bankruptcy and she had my ex sign a paper that said she agreed to give up back child support. Will that still hold up now? Another thing, all of my bills were in a friend of mines storage and he failed to pay his storage bill and all my things were lost. Can I just get a copy of my credit report and submit that to a lawyer when I file for bankruptcy? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Asked on 4/05/04, 8:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Herb Southern The Southern Law Firm

Re: Child Support and Bankruptcy

Child support cannot be discharged in a bankruptcy. However, if you are filing a chapter 13, it can be paid out over time in your payment plan. Just b/c she signed something not wanting child support, it is a right of the child, not the Mom, and cannot be barganed away by the Mom.

Read more
Answered on 4/05/04, 9:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Texas