Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Texas

my ex-wife was awarded the vehicle (under both our names) after the annulment and totaled the car. now she is filing for chapter 7 bankruptcy. is this going to affect me and is there any other way i can take my name off of the car loan ? thanks.

Asked on 8/27/09, 12:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Keith Engelke Law Office of S. Keith Engelke

If you signed the car loan, you are going to be held responsible for repayment. There are two ways to get your name off the car loan. Pay it or file bankruptcy as your ex-wife did. Hire an attorney to review the decree that awarded the car to her. Did it order her to pay the debt? If you have to pay off the loan, perhaps you need to file a proof of claim in her bankruptcy.

Read more
Answered on 9/02/09, 12:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Texas