Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Texas

On 6/21/13 i was involved in an altercation with my mother which resulted and me wanting to pick up my children from her house, which they had been staying at for a few days so she could spend time with them. Once there to do so I was refused access to my children so I called 911 and requested that alocal police officer com on scene to assist me. After he asked a few questions about why I wanted my kids, which in my own opinion did not really matter at that point because I was denied my children and that was the reason he was there, he determined that I could not have my own kids, siting the fact that I was walking as a cause to deny me. This happened in texas and yes it was hot, but my children often need to walk around town with me as our family only has one vehicle and their mother often needs it for work. What recourse should I seek in this situation? I feel my rights as a parent were stomped on by both the officer and my mother.

Asked on 6/22/13, 4:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cynthia Henley Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

Don't leave your children with your mother in the future. The officer is not in the wrong to make a decision not to get involved, especially if he has concern about the welfare of your children because of the heat.

Read more
Answered on 6/22/13, 1:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Texas