Legal Question in Consumer Law in Texas

Is This My Car or What?

I am currently driving and making monthly payments from my account for the exact amount each month to the credit union, on a car from May 1999 to present, that is in my fiance's mothers name. A verbal agreement was made that the care is mine, just in her name. I haven't missed a payment of fallen behind since 1st payment was made in 1999. Now all of a sudden she is claiming it's her car and threatening to take it with one year left to pay on the loan. Do I have any rights if so what can I do?

Asked on 3/03/03, 1:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brandon Manus Manus Law Office

Re: Is This My Car or What?

If you have been making all of the payments, you should have an equitable interest in the car. If the amount claimed is less than $5,000.00 you can sue in small claims/Justice of the Peace court. If over $5,000.00, then you will need to sue in County or District Court. If you sue in small claims, you can represent yourself. If you sue in County or District Court, get a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 3/03/03, 3:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Texas