Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Texas

Default private student loan

I defaulted on a private student loan. I spoke to the lender (the State of Texas) today to find out how I can get this loan back on track and current. They said the only way to get it current and to remove it from my credit report (and my co-signer's credit report) is to pay it in full ($18,926). I do not have the money to pay it in full. They said because there is a judgement against me, payment in full is the only resolution. I can begin making monthly payments, but they will not change anything on my credit until paid in full. The interest is killing me on this loan. What are my options? Do I have any options other than making the monthly payments and just living with it being on my credit report for the next 10 years while I am paying on it? I don't think refinancing it is an option because of the judgement against me. Please help!

Asked on 5/02/06, 4:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Theresa Langford Langford Law Firm

Re: Default private student loan

Student loans are different that a regular civil debt, and so they have a reason to refuse to negotiate the settlement of the judgment. Mainly because they don't need to.

An attorney may or may not be able to secure a different result.

My advice is to start making those payments. As time goes on, and hopefully your earning power increases, you can increase your payments.

Read more
Answered on 5/03/06, 7:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Texas