Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Texas

I have an judgment against me.. here in Texas My suit was filed with my name Spelled wrong. Does that make me still liable for the judgement. Is the judgement legal?

Asked on 12/10/12, 11:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys


It depends. Technically, they can still collect and it is a valid judgment. You will have a hard time avoiding it since it is abstracted into the County Clerk's office with your Date of Birth, Driver's License, Address, etc. That is where the credit bureaus get their information and add it to your account. If they are really aggressive, they can file for turnover orders and get to your non-exempt property/bank accounts. Or if they figure out the mistake, they can file for a corrected Judgment while the Court still has jurisdiction. The recording lasts 10 years and can be renewed another 10 years. It would have been much better to not get to that point... if it is withing 10 or 30 days, you can file a motion for new trial if you can show why you did not answer originally. NOW, if the original citation (service of process) was in the wrong name, that's a different story. We do small claims/JP cases from around $450. So if you need help contact me by email. Thanks


Read more
Answered on 12/10/12, 11:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Texas