Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Texas

Theft of Services?

We own a small moving company. A few months ago, we were contacted by a man claiming to be a minister in our area. He said he was moving and the church was paying for it. We got the name of the church and his information, etc. We were also contacted by some ''deacons'' from the church about the move. We agreed to bill the ''church'' even though we normally ask for payment when services are rendered. We were told the ''church'' paid bills at the end of the month. Well we moved him and turned in the invoice to him to pay and never received anything. We called and nobody answered, we e-mailed and no answer. We started investigating the church and found out the address was the ''minister's'' old apartment. We went to the new address once and knocked on the door and talked to his wife. She said she would talk to him. We haven't heard anything. What do we do?

We have another man we did a move for. He agreed to pay our hourly rate but when the movers got through he was $200.00 short.

He called us and promised to get it to us the next day. He signed the invoice saying everything was delivered in good order and he was satisfied with the job. Now he refuses to pay the rest. What do we do?

Asked on 9/12/08, 1:07 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Donald McLeaish McLeaish&Associates;, P.C.

Re: Theft of Services?

go to justice of the peace small claims court..and perhaps the district attorney for theft of services

Read more
Answered on 9/12/08, 3:12 pm

Paul Sartin The Sartin Law Firm, P.C.

Re: Theft of Services?

You need to have a creditors' rights attorney write a demand letter to both of them demanding prompt payment first thing. You may end up having to file a lawsuit against the pastor if he does not pay. The other guy that owes you $200, its not worth filing a lawsuit about because that amount of money is too small to warrant it.

Read more
Answered on 9/12/08, 4:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Texas