Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Texas

x spouse debts

I was divorced in 1995

X-ruined my credit & I have rebuilt my credit - He has a pst due act with Financial Credit Services (Bank of Am Acct) of 16,000 plus -The acct waws writtten off in 1990 per FCS but they put it on my credit record & say if I don't pay they will put a lien on my home/accounts He has disappeard - I knew nothing about the acct..Please help me

Asked on 7/05/06, 11:54 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

James Grissom Law Office of James P. Grissom

Re: x spouse debts

Dispute the debt in writing. Debts more than 7 years old are not supposed to be on your credit report.

Read more
Answered on 7/05/06, 12:03 pm
Peter Bradie Bradie, Bradie & Bradie

Re: x spouse debts

Write to them, certified mail return receipt requested, tell them that you dispute the debt, that any further action is barred by limitations, and a report of this debt to any credit bureau will be a clear violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Read more
Answered on 7/05/06, 12:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Texas