Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

I am a 32yo woman,married,mother of 3 boys. In an effort to continue being "supermom"after being sick andleft with no energy,i became addicted to methamphetamines.....or crystal meth. I was a smoker and other than a little weight loss(that could be the result of marital discourse) noone would have known i used. I did not lie,steal,or cheat anyone to supply my habit. I NEVER had it around my children. A few years ago i had fallen down some stairs causing damage to my spinal column that left me in quite a bit of pain. I was prescribed the drug Hydrocodone and soon became dependant on it. It became a daily struggle to find more and more pills,as my "legal" monthly prescription ran out after only a few days. When i was searching for pills one day i ran across an old "friend" that told me that they could not get me any pills,but COULD get me something better. Hence,I became addicted to meth. I used to be a surgical tech at a local hospital for 5 years and after leaving there due to my back injury,i became a sub teacher for a spec. ed class. i left that job to become a stay at home mother. I was recently pulled over for no license plate light,of all things,and was subjected to a search of my vehicle. This resulted in my now being charged with a 1st degree felony poss. of a cs>28g,a 3rd degree felony poss. of a cs>1g, and a 3rd degree felony poss. of a cs >4g. ALL IN A SCHOOL ZONE!! I had no idea when he pulled me over that i was across from the school. I'm scared to death that I'm going to prison for a loooonnggg time,and i just want to get help for my addiction. Can u tell me what kind of punishment i'm looking at. Ive been informed that my county has a ZERO DRUG TOLERANCY,

Asked on 9/18/11, 9:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cynthia Henley Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

Your first step needs to be to get a good lawyer. The lawyer can give you advice but you should consider getting yourself in an in-patient program. (The lawyer would have to work what needs to be done with the court, etc.) The school zone allegation is an enhancement to the original charges. There is no way to predict what will happen but you taking control of your addiction can do nothing but help.

Read more
Answered on 9/20/11, 7:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas