Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

Bar Tab

If you walk out on a bar tab and the bar manager didn't take a credit card or any other means of ensuring payment, would they be able to press criminal charges? If so, what would be the punishment?

Asked on 7/18/07, 9:43 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jeffrey Brashear The Brashear Law Firm, PLLC

Re: Bar Tab

Yes they can press charges. The punishment and the charge will depend on the amount you owed at the time you left. Ryan Bormaster, in my office, can explain further. Contact Stephanie Ruben, his paralegal, via email at "" and she can schedule you to come in for a free consultation with Mr. Bormaster.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/07, 10:37 am

Daniel Maloney Law Offices of Daniel J. Maloney

Re: Bar Tab

They can absolutely press criminal charges. When you order goods or services and they are provided you are obligated to pay. The most likely charge will be larceny however the punishment will vary depending on the amount of the tab as well as the state in which it occurred. In Massachusetts the likely maximum penalty would be 2.5 years in jail. If you have no recorded, or a limited one, then a period of probation would be the likely disposition. However, there is a good chance that you could resolve this matter by payment of restitution. If you have any further questions feel free to contact me at Thank you.

Dan Maloney

Read more
Answered on 7/18/07, 11:37 am
michael palmer Law Office of Michael Palmer

Re: Bar Tab

If you just got drunk and walk the tab by mistake, then I recommend going to the bar and paying. This happens all the time. The longer you wait then the more it looks like you did it on purpose and more likely that charges will be filed.. In texas, you would probably get charge with theft of service. The cost of a bond and lawyer is very likely to be more than whatever your bar tab was. Save yourself some time and money by paying the tab.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/07, 2:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas