Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

I drank a 0.38$ juice from walmart and the LP stopped me after I walked out of the exit. I only walked out because I was going to look at the patio bricks and come back inside to pay for the juice. The LP pressed charges and im getting charged with theft. Should i plea guilty or non guilty? I am in college and im worried this will hurt me getting a job in the future

Asked on 10/24/13, 11:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cynthia Henley Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

You should get a lawyer. First, they have to prove you had intent to steal. Second, there is a register in the patio area so you could have paid in that area for the juice - the LPO jumped the gun in stopping you.

At the very worse, you want to get deferred disposition so you can later expunge this off your record. While most companies do not access the class C records, I firmly believe it is only a matter of time. If you pay a fine (get found guilty or plead guilty), then you will have this "on your record" forever. Theft is a crime of moral turpitude meaning that you are not trustworthy. This is no small matter.

Read more
Answered on 10/26/13, 7:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas