Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

DUI, hit and run, pregnant, failure to render aid, minor! fleeing from scene of

I am 9mos pregnant & was hit and the driver drove off, I followed him and tried to get his license plate number, when he did stop, he got out and said that he had been drinking and didn't want to call police, my husband was behind me in his truck, and my husband came to see if the baby and I were OK, he looked up and the kid that hit us, ran down the street, my husband didn't go after him, b/c he was concerned for me. Police did come and the kid showed back up w/ his Mom, and he admitted to the police that he had been drinking, and fleed the scene as well as hit and run. They asked if we wanted to press charges, but then said that he could press charges on us for Assault w/ a deadly weapon, b/c when he stopped I pulled on the side of him and my husbands truck was there as well. We are not sure what to do, is this legal? He hit me and ran, I followed him and now he is the victim?? Also, the police filed two reports, b/c the kid hit my car and my husbands truck, trying to get away so he wouldn't get caught, however no one (police) took a statement from me or came to the hospital to ask questions???? Please help not sure what to do, and I am going to deliver this baby on Monday, so I won't be able to make necessary phone calls.

Asked on 7/24/04, 3:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nile Copeland Copeland Law Group, PLLC

Re: DUI, hit and run, pregnant, failure to render aid, minor! fleeing from scene

First and foremost focus on the delivery, have your husband go and get a copy of the police report. When did the incident occur? It will take some time before you can get a copy of the report. The police should have given you an incident number. Contact your insurance company and let them knwo your vehicle was in an accident and it was not your fault. Take photos of the damage to the vehicles and any bruising. Has your doctor examined you?

Read more
Answered on 7/24/04, 8:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas