Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

where can i find a free attorney in houston texas to help me with a misdemeanor case?

Asked on 10/05/11, 3:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

M. Elizabeth Foley The Law Office of M. Elizabeth Foley

That's not how criminal cases work. If you can't afford an attorney, you let the court know, and fill out a sworn affidavit about your financial situation.The court will then appoint you an attorney, though not one of your choice. The county will pay the attorney for handling your case, though depending on your ability to pay, they might require you to pay some or all of the money back (spread out into monthly payments). The "free attorneys" you're thinking of are probably those who volunteer their time "pro bono" to help indigent clients with civil cases. I suppose anything's possible, but I've never heard of a criminal defense attorney doing that, except very, very occasionally on some kind of post-conviction matter where there's no reimbursement available for representing indigent clients and the attorney feels it's a strong, valid case that needs to be go forward and otherwise would not.

Read more
Answered on 10/05/11, 6:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas