Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

I had a police officer give me a call and said I was listed under criminal mischief. She asked me a few questions and after I truthfully answered them she told me it was about someone keying my ex managers car. My ex manager named me as a possible suspect. I had absolutely nothing to do with this and no knowledge of this even happening to her as I do not keep in contact with anyone I used to work with employed under her. I'm assuming this would be considered a phone interview. At the end the officer asked me for my house address, she said to "close the case". Is it true she would need that information to close the case, does this mean I wont be bothered about the subject again? Also wouldn't they need feasible evidence that someone was involved before assuming right off the bat? It would really irritate me and create tremendous hardship for my daughter and I if I were falsely accused of doing such a crime, simply because there was animosity between the victim and I before the incident, surely I am not the only person the victim has gotten in a conflict with and the evidence to that is her vandalized property and the mere fact that I am not guilty,

Asked on 6/12/13, 11:57 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cynthia Henley Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

The officer wants to write a report about the work and investigation done, which would include your contact information (which she can get even if you do not give it to her.)

Whether or not you will be "bothered" about the subject again depends on the evidence the officer gathers and whether the State believes that a case can be made against you. If so, charges wil be filed.

When the damage was done, it is normal for the cops to ask the complainant if that person has any enemies, etc., who may have done this, and it is normal for the cops to conduct an investigation.

Read more
Answered on 6/17/13, 11:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas