Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

Am I qualified for the sealing of my records?

When I was 19 I was charged with unlawfully caring of a weapon. In May of 2006 it will have been two years since I completed Deferred Judification. During those two years I was picked up for public intoxication. I paid my fine and nothing else was heard about it. So I am wondering if this charge would cancel me from being eligible for the sealing of my records. Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon.

Asked on 12/16/05, 7:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Ortiz Law Office of David Ortiz

Re: Am I qualified for the sealing of my records?

A person who has succesfully completed Deferred Adjudication for unlawfully carrying a weapon, is able to petition the Court for non-disclosure two years after the case has been dismissed. However, if the person has committed a crime listed in the Government Code section regarding non-disclosure, the person can never request non-disclosure. (public intoxication is not listed).

Non-disclosure means that the information and all references to the crime will not be provided to the public. It is different than sealing or expuction (which are not avail. on this)

Read more
Answered on 12/18/05, 7:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas