Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

I was recently arrested for theft in Comal County, Texas, valued under $85. This is my first criminal offense ever. This has recently become a problem that I recognized and I was seeking help from a therapist. My therapy sessions came about after I was assaulted and diagnosed with PTSD. The shoplifting was a terrible problem associated with this difficult time. I feel awful about it and never plan to repeat the behavior. I am ready to take responsibility for my actions, whatever the terms may be. I only want to keep it off my record (I'm currently unemployed and looking). My court date has not been set.

1) What are the first steps I should take to get the ball rolling? (I am wrecked with worry that I've ruined my life.)

2) Is deferred adjudication possible?

3) Are there other options to keep this off my record?

Asked on 1/11/13, 10:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Mitchell Law Office of William Mitchell

Theft is a crime of moral turpitude in Texas. It carries more severe collateral consequences than the class B misdemeanor punishment range would suggest. The arrest alone on yor record could prove very problematic. In order to keep the theft off your record, you need to get the case dismissed. You have to hire a lawyer to ensure your rights are protected. I represent clients in Comal County and would be happy to help. For more information, see

Read more
Answered on 1/11/13, 10:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas