Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

recently filed a report on my husband for an over reaction. We were arguing and he came up close to me trying to hug and caress my face, although at the time I was afraid because of past experiences in my family i jumped to thinking it was an act of violence. I told the police that he slapped me. I really did over react and i do not wish for my husband to be in any kind of trtrouble. Ive been contacted by a detective, wanting to ask questions about an assault charge against my husband. Will it be possible for me to explain what exactly happened without my husband going to jail. I am aware of the no drop policy in tarrant county. How must i go about preventing my husband from having a criminal charge?

Asked on 10/01/13, 1:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cynthia Henley Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

Telling someone you were slapped when you were not is not an over reaction; it is a lie.

I suggest you hire a lawyer to represent your husband and you cooperate with that lawyer. No matter what you tell the cops or prosecutors now, they are going to go by what you initially said.

Be aware that you could be prosecuted for false report.

Read more
Answered on 10/03/13, 10:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas