Legal Question in Elder Law in Texas

Good morning!I am writing about my father with end-stage cancer, who does not have much longer.He has decided to spend his remaining days with his "lady friend", who kicked us both out of her house on Father's Day.This transpired due to an argument of her understanding a hospice nurse to take him off of all narcotics and keep him solely on ibuprofen. As a nurse myself, I knew that was ridiculous!(also turned out to be not true)She then hit me, pushed me and told us both to leave.She let him come back - but I would have, too.He has left her one of his accounts POD to the tune of $94K.I also should add it's only myself and my 2 children mentioned in the will.Up until now, they have never resided together.I am beginning to question some of my dad's decisions, judgements, etc.He has a large tumor on his head,meds,etc.He talks sensibly,just judgements are way off for him.I currently have medical power of attorney, but my fear is that she will talk him into changing that to her.He has refused to sign durable POA to me and I also fear that she will get him to sign that to her.She knows so much about him-including all his bank accounts,his combination to his safe,etc.My questions are...with medical POA, can I bring him to live with me?And can you offer me any advice?I'm just afraid I do not have time to fight for guardianship.

Asked on 6/27/12, 4:11 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

Yes, you can bring him to live with you.

And on the way to your house, he should stop by the bank and withdraw his money. All of it.

Read more
Answered on 6/27/12, 6:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Texas