Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I'm 17 and my boyfriend is also 17, we're having a baby. His parents said that they are going to keep him from the baby at all costs. Is that possible or no? We both turn 18 in August and September of next year.

Asked on 10/04/13, 2:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

The moment a person turns 18 that person is an adult under Texas law. The person can do whatever he/she wants.

However, his parents can also kick him out of their house without any of his "stuff" if they bought it. So if his cell phone is on their plan then he cannot take it with him if they don't allow him to do so. They do not have to pay for his college. If they bought his clothes then they do not have to allow him to take them with him. But he is free to leave their home.

Feel free to call your local police, sheriff or constable and they can explain TX law to you and/or his parents.

There is an excellent free booklet "Now You are 18" a project of the Texas Lawyers Auxilliary that was published a few years ago. I think you can still find it on-line.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 10/11/13, 10:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas