Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

my 7 year old son has told me that a male PE teacher (who has never met me and just happens to work directly with my ex-wife) has been pulling him into his private office (during class) and telling him assorted nasty things about me, painting an image of me and telling my son that I am a "bad daddy". I am crushed and have explained to my son that, if he's being truthful with me, he may have to explain what the teacher is saying to the Principal and/or the police and if he's not telling the truth, both he and I could be in big trouble - my son practically scoffed at the idea of getting in trouble because he said he was telling the truth and, therefore, had no fear of telling authorities/authority figures - I live in Texas and would like to inform both the principal of the school as well as have charges (child abuse?) filed against this teacher - what would be my best approach to this situation given that I do not have the money to hire an attorney - in the interim, my son's attitude towards me has turned 180 degrees and he has expressed to me that he feels angry towards me because of this teacher's comments - he has changed from being a respectful, considerate son to literally laughing at my attempts at discipline and speaking to me with a total lack of respect that would indicate that this type of alienation is indeed occurring - any advice is greatly appreciated


Very Concerned Father

Asked on 6/09/13, 10:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jeffrey Brashear The Brashear Law Firm, PLLC

Assuming that your 7 year old son is being truthful with you regarding the male PE teacher actions, there are a few options which may be useful to your situation. However, there are a few questions which woudl require answers to so as to make sure that specific items are contained within your divorce decree. First, which Court handled your divorce case? Second, who has the exclusive right to deisgnate the primary residencey of your 7 year old son? Third, how do you know that your ex-wife and this PE teacher work together? Fourth, in your opinion, why would this PE teacher be getting involved in your personal life? Fifth, have you discussed this matter with the school principal? Sixth, in your opinion, is this something that your ex-wife would do? These are just some of the questions which require more information before being able to properly point you in the right direction.

You should consider consulting with a local law firm to protect your interest and rights. We are more than happy to talk to you and provide you with some guidance should you desire to contact our firm. The above response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an on-going duty to respond to questions. Additionally, the response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/13, 5:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas