Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I am 17 years old. I live with my dad and a step mom. My real mom lives in Mexico. I live in the U.S. My mom opened up a case years ago and in the end ended with me having to go visit my mom and brothers twice a year, in the summer and in the winter. My brothers then had to come over twice a year and it switched around. The thing is I don't want to go to Mexico to see my mom. Is there anything I can do so that I don't have to go? Or am I old enough so that I can choose myself not to go?

Asked on 12/03/15, 5:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

TC Langford Langford Law Office

You can not choose. You cannot decide until you are 18 or emancipated. Have you discussed this with your dad? Your mom? You dad can file to modify the order, and bluntly, you will probably turn 18 before the case ever got to court. Talk to your dad, ask him to talk with an attorney in your area. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/04/15, 10:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas