Legal Question in Family Law in Texas


my mother owes $7000+ in child support and about $700 in tickets

the state takes out most of her check directly from her check so theres not much left afterwards to live on

she dont even get to c her kid shes paying child support 4

it was my idea to declair bankruptcy to get rid of the child support couse she has nothing in her name cept the car and shes putting it in my name

is this a good idea or should she try something else??

Asked on 9/17/07, 7:41 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Theresa Langford Langford Law Firm

Re: bankrupt

Child support is not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

Read more
Answered on 9/18/07, 7:21 am

Keith Engelke Law Office of S. Keith Engelke

Re: bankrupt

In addition to child support not being dischargable, fines are not dischargeable either. If your mother's income has dropped since the court ordered the child support, she could hire a lawyer to look into filing a motion to modify the monthly amount and have it lowered.

Additionally, she could file a suit against the person who is not providing her access to the child under the family code. Since the person who fails to provide access to the child is usually the same person who gets the child support, this might result in a judgment (or settlment) that can reduce any arrears in child support.

Read more
Answered on 9/18/07, 12:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas