Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I just barely moved & I need to know if I have to tell my daughter's dad my new address? I really don't want to because I have had issues with him being violent towards me & harassing me in the past. At one time I had to put a protective order on him. I haven't had a lot of problems from him since he got with his new girlfriend & has a new baby now, but I would just feel more comfortable with him not knowing. We do have joint custody & he gets her on his days but I take her to his mom, but since we moved he is demanding I tell him our address & says he has a right to know where his daughter is living. Please help me.

Asked on 8/03/12, 4:50 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Megan Cook Cook & Cook Law Firm, PLLC

Your custody orders may state that you have an obligation to tell him your new address. If the custody orders do not demand you to disclose your new address, then do not tell him the address. Instead send him a certified letter stating that you are not going to disclose your current address for safety reasons, and state the logistics for pick up times and drop off times. You will want to hire a family law attorney to modify the address disclosure requirement. If you do not explain what is happening in writing or get the order modified you can be found in contempt of court for failing to follow the court order. Again, if there is no court order, then do not worry about it.

Read more
Answered on 8/05/12, 11:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas