Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Child support after adoption

My husband found out this summer he had a son. The boy was 21 months old when the DNA was done. We started child support Sept 1st.

We also paid the retainer for a lawyer to do a step parent adoption for the mother, and her new husband.

Today Feb 4th the adoption was complete. She emailed me today to say she was now sueing for back child support in the amount of 6900. I thought once the adoption was complete this man is NOW the father and entirely responsible. Can she do this? How can we fight it?

Asked on 2/04/08, 9:25 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Johm Smith tom's

Re: Child support after adoption

A lawyer for you should have gotten the mother to waive her claim for past child support in exchange for your cooperation. Get one ASAP!

Read more
Answered on 2/05/08, 5:31 pm
TC Langford Langford Law Office

Re: Child support after adoption

Who did the lawyer represent? You? or her? Cancellation of child support arrearage is not automatic. I suggest you get a lawyer immediately that you are paying to represent your interests, instead of hers. The attorney, if acting quickly, might be able to get this judgment set aside, clarified or modified.

Read more
Answered on 2/04/08, 9:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas