Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

child support

If you are married to a man who pays child support to his ex-wife, am I responsible to have t pay his child support because I work? Is my money counted?

Asked on 6/08/03, 6:17 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jean Sudduth Jean Sudduth, Attorney at law

Re: child support

No, in Texas your money cannot be counted to determine child support and you cannot be forced to pay his child support. That is the short and really complete answer.

Can the mother of his children filed contempt in his case? If he is more than 30 days past due she can. If she is successful she can obtain both criminal and civil relief. That means unless he has a good defense he can be placed in jail for up to 180 days for contempt (that is the crimminal side) and as long as it takes him to purge himself of contempt (that means until he gets his child support current) and that is the civil side. If he does not have valid affirmative defense, he could possibly spend his life in jail. I do not know what county he are being sued in, but I suggest that both of you take this very seriously and you need to decide, do you want him around enough to pay his arrearages? If his defense is inadequate he might face a jail sentence. If you are ok with that just leave it alone. If he is a person you like having around I suggest that he hire a lawyer and find out just what he needs to do to stay with you.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/03, 2:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas