Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

child support

If a parent is paying back child support for a child over 21, and the state has tacked a large amount for interest. As well as the fact the the father isn't even sure the child is still single, or even getting any of the money paid, and the father can't afford to hire an attorney, is there any one in the State of Texas who could look into what he is being charged as far as the amount of support as well as the amount of interest being charged. Basically is there any one over the Attorney general;s office in Harris County who would look into what we feel is unfair?

Asked on 3/22/02, 12:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Grissom Law Office of James P. Grissom

Re: child support

Your question doesn't say, but I assume that a judgment was granted for the amount of the delinquent child support, plus interest at 10%, attorneys fees and court costs. This adds up to be a lot of money and at the usual rate of repayment, the judgment will likely never be paid off. You say the child is getting the money, but the Order likely says the mother is to get the support since she is the one who paid support for both parents while the arrearage was accumulating. Whether or not it is fair usually depends upon whether your paying or receiving.

Read more
Answered on 3/22/02, 3:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas