Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

My daughter's father is attempting to take custody. I hired a lawyer, and she was always "too busy" to see me or return my calls. I still hadn't spoken to her as of the day before my court date. Her office called the day before the hearing and told me the hearing was being pushed back and would be rescheduled. She said she would call me with the new date. I went to work then had calls and texts asking where I was. Apparently the court date was not changed, and I missed it. The office swears they didn't tell me the date was rescheduled. I have called them and got the run around. The lawyer won't answer or return my calls. I don't know what happened at court, but the lady at the office was kind enough to tell me it couldn't be good because I didn't show. What do I do? I'm tired of hearing, "we'll call you."

Asked on 5/22/13, 9:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Daley Power Daley PLLC

First, you have to find out what happened in court that day. That is absolutely critical. You may have to go to the district clerk's office and ask to look at the docket sheet.

Second, if the court entered an order that day, you need to immediately file a motion for new trial citing as your reason for seeking a new trial the fact that your attorney told you the hearing had been moved.

Third, you need to fire your attorney TOMORROW MORNING, and hire a new one. There are several good family law attorneys in the Abilene area. Search to find one.

Good luck!!

Read more
Answered on 5/29/13, 8:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas